When it comes to E-commerce platforms, the world’s leading powerhouses are Magento, Shopify, and WooCommerce. They help run the world’s top 100,000 e-commerce websites. Top WordPress web development companies, such as Xornor Technologies admit that these platforms help manage a majority of the world’s e-commerce. Therefore, if you are a developer planning to start an e-commerce platform, then this article will surely help you. You may be feeling confused with regards to which one of these platforms to use. All three have been extremely successful, with WooCommerce helping millions of websites, Shopify having 500,000 customers, and Magento hosting over 250,000 websites. Therefore, to help you out, here’s a look at these three platforms, why they are different and which one to choose for your website.
Shopify Vs Magento Vs WooCommerce
- Shopify now offers its services to over 500,000 users, growing exponentially in the last few years to increase its customer count. Yet, it has the lowest number of customers when we compare it with the list of the world’s top 10,000 e-commerce websites.
- Magento is the one that has remained constant for a while now, instead of growing. Yet, it boasts of over 250,000 customers. However, the best thing about Magento is that it powers the most number of websites in the top 10,000 e-commerce websites from around the world.
- WooCommerce has been the fastest-growing as it is so easy to set up, and now powers over millions of users. Also, it helps fairly big weights, since it has the second-highest number of the top 10,000.
Type of Service:
- Shopify works within the realm of SaaS platforms and has a massive client base when it comes to such functions. They have been growing strongly, and experts say that they will continue to do so for a while. This platform is well suited for small and medium-sized businesses which want to raise brand awareness, while also being cost-effective. Shopify comes in different versions, with users being able to choose between multiple tiers and enterprise versions.
- Magento is pushing its revised Magento 2 platform, supporting both cloud and on-premise enterprise functionalities. They also have a very open-source version that smaller businesses can make use of. Magento is the most powerful of the 3 and suits large international company websites. Magento has two options when it comes to implementation- service hosting and on-premise platform.
- WooCommerce serves as a sort of WordPress plugin, and can hence, be considered as a plugin and not a platform. It has great all-round CMS options, making it the most convenient of the three options. It can be added to any WordPress website, making it a very important WordPress development tool. It works best for light-usage websites. WooCommerce has only one free version which contains several plugins as a part of it.
Brand Dependence and Revenue Generation:
- Shopify probably hosts the least important or leading brands, since it is still growing. However, while it lags behind when it comes to revenue, it is quickly growing and might catch up to the other two pretty soon. Shopify works best in the retail and high-end industries such as Jewelry
- Magento by far powers the largest brands, and hence, has a bigger pulling power when it comes to recognizable brands. This also helps make it the largest revenue generation platform out of the three. However, since the company has become stagnant, it might be overtaken soon when it comes to revenue generation. Magento has a strong presence in Fashion, B2B, automotive sector and F&B
- WooCommerce, due to it being extremely easy to use, is used by a lot of up-and-coming brands. It will also be used by more recognizable brands in the future when we consider the rate at which it is growing. While the revenue generation of this plugin has not to be reported anywhere, it is quite certain, that due to its large user-base, it must be at second position when it comes to this criterion. WooCommerce works well for publishers and heavy content-producing companies. Since top WordPress web development companies India work with this plugin, it ensures all-round maintenance and support.
- Shopify is the easiest to use
- It has no extra maintenance costs, as it functions as a SaaS platform
- Lesser number of themes
- Does not require much technical knowledge
- Quick customer support
- Magento provides the best e-Commerce functionality
- Most flexible
- Supports multiple stores and pages
- Extremely SEO friendly
- WooCommerce is the easiest to implement
- WooCommerce is a part of WordPress which is easily the world’s most used
- Most number of themes
- Offer various plugins, extensions, and payment gateways
- Since Shopify is a SaaS platform, it requires a monthly fee payment
- Limited core functionality
- Less customizable
- Have to depend on third-party payment processors
- Magento is the most complicated to use out of the three
- Higher development budget to implement
- Costliest platform out of the three
- Requires good technical skills
- WooCommerce has more limited functionality due to it being just a plugin
- Difficult to scale when it comes to more complex operations